I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama and will graduate with a degree in secondary education/language arts. I chose secondary education because I feel that I would be able to teach what I love, English and Literature, to the fullest extent. I love little children too but they aren't exactly ready for Shakespeare! I set up this blog as a means to show my feelings on how I would like to run my classroom and how I would like to teach. Please feel free to contact me!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Classroom Involvment

I believe that every student has something to bring to the table. I want my students to WANT to participate in classroom activities because they are interested in what is going on and not because they quiver in fear for their GPA's. You can learn a little bit by being a wallflower but not nearly as much as you would by joining in the learning process. There are many ways students can become involved in the classroom. For example a brilliant but painfully shy girl could use the class blog as a means to express her views and interpretations on what the class is covering. Ideally she would receive positive feedback from her fellow students and become more comfortable talking in class. I may have a student who is very good acting out others' interpretations of a play. Through this acting process he may come to develop his own opinions and might feel more confident reading the play as well. Every class has its group of chatter bugs. They could keep an in class discussion lively and flowing even if the subject matter isn't. I remember high school and middle school. Every kid I knew was good at something but sometimes they were not allowed to bring their capabilities and talents to the classroom. I think this really damaged their motivation and their confidence. I am not against a classroom that offers diverse ways to learn the material. What matters to me is that everyone is learning and wanting to come to class. Naturally there will be the usual papers and tests as well to ensure that everyone stays on track!

No comments: