I am currently a student at the University of South Alabama and will graduate with a degree in secondary education/language arts. I chose secondary education because I feel that I would be able to teach what I love, English and Literature, to the fullest extent. I love little children too but they aren't exactly ready for Shakespeare! I set up this blog as a means to show my feelings on how I would like to run my classroom and how I would like to teach. Please feel free to contact me!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Students Should be Encouraged to Teach

I remember the long weary nights I spent cramming for exams all through High School and College. I also remember that the grades I got when I "studied" (more like had a massive panic attack while reading) like this were not nearly as good as when I went over the material with my fellow students. We were able to relate to one another so well that we had our own ways of explaining the information. The more we helped one another the better the knowledge stuck. The best example I have comes from a biology class I took. The professor wanted the class to learn the major bones of the body. We all met in the lab about two hours before the test and began going over them together. Not one of us knew all of them that morning. When we walked out two hours later we could name them all! Everyone made an A and the professor was very impressed as that was the first time a class had done so well. When she asked us how we studied for the test we told her we got together as a group and taught one another. Needless to say we left out the fact that the study group was formed a mere two hours before the test! I feel that when students are able to get into small groups and discuss the material they learn more than they would from me standing at the board lecturing all day. That does not mean that I will not be actively involved in the learning process. I would like to listen to each of the groups and see where their interpretations of, for example, Hamlet are going. The small groups create a feeling of security. My hope is that this will inspire particularly shy students to talk. I know I was nervous in my first lit class whenever I had to speak. After the first week though, and the small group discussions, I spoke as much as everyone else! I know that not every student I will teach will love English and reading as much as I do but I hope that they will all find something to enjoy in my class that will keep them motivated.

No comments: